PROJECT TGM

The Global Mail STAFF STATEMENT

UPDATE 3/2/14: Since this message was posted last Thursday, we've received overwhelming encouragement and support from our readers. Many of you have asked what you can do to help, offering to donate money or pay for a subscription to the site.

The staff at The Global Mail want to say thank you. We're sincerely touched by the reaction, and gratified that you enjoy and value our journalism.

One supporter wrote on our Facebook page, "Something like TGM doesn't belong to the staff and editors, it belongs to the readers."

We couldn’t have put it better ourselves. And so we want to assure you that we hear your great ideas. As soon as we know anything for sure, we'll let you know. Watch this space.

******

Graeme Wood advised the management and staff of The Global Mail on January 29 that he is unable to continue funding the digital-journalism producer after February 20.

However, he also agreed that the staff is free to seek other investors or philanthropists who may wish to see the success of TGM continue and expand.

This allows us to pursue ambitious plans for the future. With the support of key figures in media internationally, The Global Mail team is exploring various models – both philanthropic and commercial.

In TGM’s shift to more project-based journalism in 2013, it published fewer stories but gained audience, averaging 120,000 unique visitors a month; its enews subscriber base has doubled, to more than 17,50018,000 18,600; and TGM has established a substantial and engaged social media following – all without paid marketing or advertising.

We are pursuing editorial and publishing partnerships in Australia and beyond. TGM’s award-winning journalism – longform, photos, video, multimedia and data projects – has also been published well beyond The Global Mail’s own multiple URLs, on the The Daily Beast, Time.com, The Guardian (UK and Australia), CNN and others.

Today we are finalising copy for an ebook authored by a Pulitzer Prize winner. A partnership between TGM and a US publisher, it will be launched soon aimed at the US and global market. It has been accepted onto the prestigious Kindle Singles list.

In the past month TGM has co-published a multimedia and news story with Fairfax; launched SecureDrop, a secure platform for whistleblowers, in concert with the Freedom of the Press Foundation; and published the offshore leaks stories as the first institutional member of the International Consortium of Investigative Journalists.

Accordingly, the staff and management of TGM are seeking expressions of interest from potential partners.

Contact: theglobalmail2014@gmail.com.

Sign up here to stay informed of the latest at The Global Mail. Thanks for reading.

by Martin Deeley

Graeme Wood may have done the Global Mail a big favour.
I spend a lot of time surfing the web and take a look around at many things. But I'd never even heard of Global Mail until today when the potential closure was featured on News Radio.
Global Mail; you need to get out there and tell people about yourselves!

January 30, 2014 @ 5:06pm
by Rosemary

Good luck to you! I have enjoyed every story I have read and hope you find funding.

January 30, 2014 @ 5:17pm
by Cathy

My family members and I were devastated when we heard the news today. We are avid readers of The Global Mail and admire your quality journalism, which is so rare in the Australian mainstream media. Mike Seccombe is one of the few political commentators at present that gets it right almost every time.

Please try to stay afloat. Have you thought of trying to crowd fund? It worked for the climate change authority that Abbott abolished.

All the very best - I hope someone or something comes to your rescue - we need your type of quality journalism, especially in the nightmare landscape of the Murdoch dominated press.

January 30, 2014 @ 5:23pm
by Elaine de Saxe

Crowd-funding via PayPal could be a part of the ongoing financial arrangements.

January 30, 2014 @ 5:31pm
by Guy Cundell

Subscription? Perhaps subscribers would attract some exclusive benefits but, through their subscription, allow for free transmission of much of the output?

January 30, 2014 @ 5:51pm
by Jason

Good Luck! Hopefully you'll be sticking around in a transformed & viable manner. Australian journalism needs you.

January 30, 2014 @ 5:53pm
by Peter S

Why am I not surprised? Philanthropic funding provides no long term guarantees.

January 30, 2014 @ 5:57pm
by Mark

Crowd source. And join up with Morry Schwartz

January 30, 2014 @ 6:06pm
by Robert

TGM is needed more than ever now that Murdoch has told Abbott to kill off or dumb down the ABC.

January 30, 2014 @ 6:56pm
by Dylan

I discovered you in 2013 and have read many articles since. The depth and quality is refreshing in a sea of alternates driven by opinion, hidden agendas, and lack of truth. Good luck! Hopefully I'll be visiting this site in many many years to come.

January 30, 2014 @ 6:59pm
by James Nash

Best of luck with it TGM. You are by FAR the best news service I have come across on or off the web, only Mother Jones comes close, but alas is US based. I sincerely hope this has been given serious consideration by Mr Wood. I do however tend to agree with the comment by Martin Deeley, who, like everyone I have mentioned TGM to (and there have been many, many people who 'should' know) have heard little of it. Perhaps a second chance is possible with a better marketing strategy other than the word of mouth of your loyal readership? I do hope the insight continues. Your truly first class reading. Cheers.

January 30, 2014 @ 8:10pm
by Col

Good Luck, AUSTRALIA needs TGM

January 30, 2014 @ 8:12pm
by Ben

Best quality news I've read for investigative journalism. I don't know what's wrong with running some banner ads and small advertising to keep the site going. There is no shame in advertising so long as it has no influence on editorial.

January 30, 2014 @ 8:43pm
by Silas

I do hope this wonderful enterprise continues in 2014. You have done so much for free speech and investigative journalism in OZ, and are a highlight of my Saturday morning reading. We need you more now than ever.

January 30, 2014 @ 9:52pm
by supermundane

I want to add my voice to those here. I too discovered the Global Mail in 2013 and believe that an outlet for quality, investigative journalism - as rare as it is in the current media landscape - is sorely needed now more than ever. I'm saddened to hear about the withdrawal of philanthropic support and I too would be open to a subscription-based service.

Good luck!

January 30, 2014 @ 9:53pm
by Julie

Brain storming: all those Australian actors who earn millions now could chip in?

January 30, 2014 @ 10:36pm
by News Blues

I have been thinking for a while that it would be great to have a weekly or monthly print 'news anthology' with the best of the independent (read non-Murdoch) media represented in a co-operative effort. I remember getting the old airmail edition of the Guardian in the 80s... It had a section from le Monde and a section from the Washington Post as well - that's kind of what I am thinking. It would sit in newsagents as rival to our rather limited range of print media and would alert potential new readers to the web based presence of a range of independent media voices. Am I a dreamer? Also would like to get away from screen reading as I think many would...

January 30, 2014 @ 10:53pm
by James Trevelyan

I was an early fan of TGM but I have been disappointed in the last 18 months with the narrow spectrum of political views expressed in your articles. Yes, quality journalism, but narrow minded. I cancelled my paid subscription to the Australian because they too had narrowed their editorial range. If you offer a broader range of opinion, I would be happy to subscribe.

January 30, 2014 @ 11:14pm
by Russell Yann

Thankyou for the brilliant journalism over last few years. I hope all the people associated with your venture go on to new and interesting careers. Kind regards
Russell Yann

January 30, 2014 @ 11:27pm
by John Davidson

I've only just discovered you and now you'll maybe go under! We desperately need a range of thoughtful journalism outlets, especially in view of the Murdoch spread and the government criticisms of the ABC. I sincerely hope, as an older retired Australian, that you find sponsors and/or partnerships to ensure your survival - and growth. Have you considered "crowd sourcing" along the lines of internet start-ups?

January 31, 2014 @ 6:46am
by JOHN HECK TAS.

MOST SAD, THE BIGGEST PROBLEM "TGM" MAY HAVE FAILED IN WAS SELF PROMOTION, JUST READ YOUR OFFERINGS FOR FIRST TIME AND THAT WAS DUE TO CURIOSITY AFTER AN ABC MORNING NEWS REPORT OF YOUR CLOSING, I CONGRATULATE THOSE RESPONSIBLE AND WISH ALL THE BEST FOR THE FUTURE. I WILL NOT MISS ANY REMAINING EDITIONS.

January 31, 2014 @ 7:40am
by Kylie Quinlan

The quality of the content on your site is outstanding and as a paying subscriber to other publications I would happily pay for a subscription to your content. I wish you all the best on the quest to secure future funding and hope to be able to continue losing myself for hours on your site in the future.

January 31, 2014 @ 8:46am
by Julanne Sweeney

Another blow to our national wellbeing if TGM vanishes.Thank you for so many deep investigations. Every day brings another information loss : our Government abolishing policies to protect our environment, despite the president of the World Bank Jim Yong Kim urging financial leaders (and Governments ) at Davos to take responsibility for the fight against climate change. We needed TGM to report such events.

January 31, 2014 @ 9:16am
by Alby

Just heard about this on ABC radio this morning . I had hadn't heard of TGM until then - looks like a great platform for independent journalism . I for one would pay an annual subscription to keep this site going :-)

January 31, 2014 @ 10:18am
by Rupert Crowe

I too am very sad to hear that you are in trouble. I have seen the site gradually improve since inception and would hate to see such a quality independent news commentary site fail. There are too few. Like Albi, I will happily take up a subscription to support you, once I know you can survive this crisis.

January 31, 2014 @ 10:48am
by polly

Sad news. Such great journalists. Writers like Mike Seccombe must be allowed to continue to bring us the information the other news outlets don't. What a tragedy that papers like Sydney's Daily Telegraph flourish, yet outlets like TGM find it hard to survive.

January 31, 2014 @ 11:19am
by Thomas McCoy

This is terrible news. I applaud Graeme Wood for generously supporting this excellent publication and can totally appreciate the financial pressures he might be under, but I sincerely hope we don't lose TGM. Like many Australians, I'd also be happy to take out a paid subscription if it would keep TGM going. My thoughts are with the talented staff during this uncertain time.

January 31, 2014 @ 11:19am
by polly

I agree too, that lack of promotion, and therefore readership, has probably caused the potential downfall of TGM. Guys, you are all experienced journalists and no doubt worldly-wise, so why have you let TGM go un-promoted? Like other posters here I came across your site in passing – in my case a while back when I saw Seccombe credited when appearing on The Drum. Curiosity led me to TGM, but you are a virtual unknown to most people. A real shame.

January 31, 2014 @ 11:53am
by Kylie

Guys. Post a crowdfunding link.

January 31, 2014 @ 12:06pm
by Janet Castle

Sad news. It has been a fantastic thing that Graeme has funded TGM this far. I am up for a paid subscription if you go that way. A very insecure time for staff. Wishing you well as you navigate your future pathways.

January 31, 2014 @ 12:29pm
by Seng Lim

Graeme Wood is to be applauded for establishing and funding TGM, and it is indeed a shame that he is unable to continue his philanthropic funding of this truly excellent source of consistently high-quality journalism which is sadly much too rare in Australia.

To the staff and management of TGM, I thank you for your wonderful, wonderful work since TGM's launch (apart from the side-scrolling initial web site design, which I suspect was an attempt at innovation but a mis-step nonetheless) and wish you the very best for the future which hopefully will continue to be at a revitalised and newly funded TGM. Thank you.

Like many others, I will be happy to take up a paid subscription - if not for TGM's excellent journalism, then to help ensure that there will be still be a "voice" to counter all those sub-standard (mainstream Australian) printed and online publications which merely masquerade as news sources and which have long forgotten what true Journalism is or ought to be.

January 31, 2014 @ 12:53pm
by gary

For some time I have been listening to Mike Bowers on the Insiders mentioning he was from The Daily Mail. It was not until I read in todays Fin Review the problems TGM face that discovered TGM !.........hopefully it is not to late.
I agree with Polly, lack of promotion appears to be a problem.
Happy to become a paid subscriber!

January 31, 2014 @ 1:18pm
by Nick

Hire the best sales director money can buy!

January 31, 2014 @ 1:48pm
by Nick Healey

In fact - our company would be willing to help TGM design an effective sales and marketing campaign as our investment in your success.

January 31, 2014 @ 1:50pm
by Hotspringer

I am really, truly sorry, mainly for you people, but also for the likes of me, losing another source of unbiased (=non Murdoch) reporting. I enjoyed so much your well written, well researched background and in depth reports on current events and professional first class journalistic efforts.
I am sure you will do well in the future.

January 31, 2014 @ 1:53pm
by Daniel

I sincerely hope an investor gets found. Australia needs unbiased and investigative journalism more than ever.

January 31, 2014 @ 2:12pm
by Peter

I too discovered your site yesterday after reading of the defunding. We desperately need more quality journalism. I subscribed after reading some of your great articles. I really do hope you can continue. We need your type of journalism desperately in this era of growing disinformation by our politicians, Murdoch and some disgusting shock jocks.

January 31, 2014 @ 3:06pm
by Kylie

I love your multi-media presentations and see the Global Mail as offering a way forward in the current media landscape where long form investigative journalism is not a priority and journalists are expected to produce more content with less time. Your survival is particularly poignant as the current government embarks on its program to muzzle and starve the ABC. I really, really hope you get the backing to continue. I'm a big fan.
Kylie Grey

January 31, 2014 @ 4:24pm
by Phil

My introduction to the Global Mail was a Mike Seccombe piece on Tony Abbott. Wottf. Sorry Wotif.

January 31, 2014 @ 5:50pm
by Dee

I have loved receiving the Global Mail and I will mourn the loss if no investors turn up.
Thank you for your good journalism. It has been such a pleasure to read all content but especially Mike Seccombe. We need you TGM.
I am ready for subscribing

January 31, 2014 @ 6:40pm
by JR

An absolute breath of fresh air in the Australian media landscape. I really hope you can keep this going - the country needs this more than ever. Best of Luck!

January 31, 2014 @ 7:43pm
by ede magnussen

Independent and unbiased media in this country is on the same path as Tasmanian heritage sites and the great barrier reef, a pathway of erosion and destruction. The punitive measures taken to silence the ABC and the demise of independents like yourselves will have devastating consequences for Australia. When the silenced and deafened generation wakes, it may be too late.
I do hope your patron has a change of heart.

January 31, 2014 @ 8:58pm
by Matt in Qld

Hi All TGM readers,

Go to the ABC, it's free (unless you pay tax) and you will feel right at home.

January 31, 2014 @ 10:28pm
by Christine

I would miss The Global Mail terribly. Don't forget the 'crowd funding' idea which enabled the Climate Council to continue work for another year ... it's not as secure but it may help until new investors can be found. You do a GREAT job!

February 1, 2014 @ 1:02am
by Bob

Australia needs The Global Mail to inform the public what the Abbott government is really up to. We all know by now Rupert Murdoch bias media outlets won't.

February 1, 2014 @ 2:15am
by adrianjt

How about a bit of advertising/active posting on sites like ozbargain, austech, somersoft, ozpolitic, getup etc there must be dozens more, "thinking sites", the bigger the base the greater the clout.

February 1, 2014 @ 3:57am
by Bob Swainson

Me too Gary! I watch "Insiders" every Sunday, religiously, and never gave a thought to finding out about The Global Mail mentioned by Mike Bowers each week. I read my first TGM article yesterday only to find that it was penned by Mike Secombe, a journalist for whom I have much respect. I recall Jonathan Holmes' final delivery of Media Watch where he implored us to seriously consider contributing to an online body employing journalists with the intention of assisting the profession as printed news heads towards its probable demise. I do not have a large income but, I immediately commenced contributing to "The Conversation" and would be prepared to do something similar with TGM.

I wish TGM every success.

February 1, 2014 @ 7:50am
by Robert

I'm keen to pay for a subscription and this is a turning point for you for the better, although it will be a bit tough.

Keep up the inspiring and professional work you do for a better world for all.

Thanks

February 1, 2014 @ 8:13am
by Leonard Tyler

This is sad news indeed, as I like so many others totally disolutioned with all daily print media, had found a trusted source (like the Conversation) from which to read serious news reported by real journalists whose integrity and dedication to their work, trumped the 'opinion' of the OZ or the sensationalism of commercial television.
Individual journalists ought not be singled out because the standard of those who contributed to Graeme Wood's insighful enterprise is so high, but Mike Secombes articles were always a must read.
I wish you all well and in thanking you for your contribution to credible and trusted media, urge you to ride the changes, stick with your values, and who knows, we may see you in the Saturday 'paper?

February 1, 2014 @ 8:18am
by David Stephens

Know in a very small way the struggle of swimming against the tide in this country Best wishes to TGM. David Stephens, honesthistory.net.au

February 1, 2014 @ 8:30am
by BenGMorgan

Not sure if you guys are reading your Facebook comments. So I'll say it again here. TGM is such a fantastic resource and we need more like it, but traditional media models and millionaire philanthropy are unlikely to ever really work. Here's my two cents as posted to Facebook:

"Alright guys. Time for some of the transparency and openness - the kind you fight for on a regular basis.

How much do you need each month to stay afloat? What do you need from us to make this happen?

Something like TGM doesn't belong to the staff and editors, it belongs to the readers as well.

Write an article with a full breakdown of where the spending goes. Make the cuts where you can in the short term (IF you haven't already) and come to us with an honest proposal.

A callout for millionaires is ridiculous! Millionaires don't make things happen anymore. Ordinary people do. Better to be beholden to 50,000 investors than to one.

Let's go, action time!

Blessing in disguise if only you're able to rise to the challenge."

February 1, 2014 @ 8:31am
by Deidre Anne

Saddened by the decision, happy to subscribe if that is what you need to keep going . You and the ABC are the only news sources worth trusting.

February 1, 2014 @ 8:38am
by Helen Neville

Reading all the comments makes me confident that you will survive. You have to!!! Between the Global Mail and The Conversation - its the only reporting that I can trust. Too often with mainstream reporting, I feel intellectually disrespected. Listen to all the advice given and please keep going.

February 1, 2014 @ 8:44am
by John Kelly

A few names that might be sympathetic: Russell Crowe, Cate Blanchett, John Singleton?

February 1, 2014 @ 8:57am
by RTB

Agree with comment so far concerning the need for GM to survive. Not so sure about the need for The Conversation

February 1, 2014 @ 9:11am
by Geoff Prior

Where do I subscribe to TGM?

February 1, 2014 @ 9:20am
by Ian Heriot

I agree that TGM should not rely on philanthropy as its sole income source - great to get started but not really sustainable as you grow longer term. I for one would be happy to subscribe to keep receiving your insightful reporting. Thanks.

February 1, 2014 @ 9:28am
by Terry Morrison

The whole of our society is dependent on the "fifth estate" being independent and fearless in its pursuit of issues that affect our way of life -along with education they are the crucible of our existence. To spell it out -we desperately need TGM's independent commentary and investigative journalism. When the ABC (& SBS) are also threatened by the this government we are as a society under siege -although most will not know it until it begins to affect them. Gordon Gecko is alive and well. When big business is the decision maker most likely to be listened too we are in a very bad way. Economic fundamentalism and religious zealotry would seem to be the guiding forces that influence the decision makers in this government. Mike Seccombe's article on Cory Bernardi was an insightful window inside the religious right which seems to be dominate within the decision makers of this government -virtually taking up the political dysfunctional thinking off the Tea party that has done so much to damage the democratic way of life in the USA. We are in for a bad time as a society -this in part is a direct result of the previous government's leadership chaos so we punished them, as they rightly deserved, however at least they had a philosophy which tried to give some balance to the inequalities now endemic in our society. But now society itself is going back to the Howard/Reagan/ Thatcher ideology where there is no society!?- just "business transactions" where "the market knows best" - we are in a far worse situation.

February 1, 2014 @ 9:39am
by Maureen

Yes, you must keep going.
With Abbott's attack on the ABC we need you more than ever!
As a retiree I am prepared to financial support you guys for a modest monthly sum!!

February 1, 2014 @ 10:03am
by Tony

Sorry to hear this news, TGM, but great to see the determination of the staff to keep the ship sailing. Your presence is important and heartening; your reporting is enlightening and entertaining. Best of luck seeking the resourcing you need. Maybe Clive or Gina are looking for a tax offset?

February 1, 2014 @ 10:48am
by Sarah

Quality and fair reporting is becoming more and more vital. You guys shine lights in and on the often darkness of mainstream media. Excellent and creative media. thanks. Would be happy to subscribe.

February 1, 2014 @ 10:56am
by Caroline Storm

Maureen has written my comment exactly!

February 1, 2014 @ 10:57am
by Bill MIller

This is a time when we need more, not fewer, 'papers' of whatever format. Freedom of the press and access to information are under threat as our Putinesque Australian Government militarises civil processes and governs in secrecy, imposing the will of one very narrow political group on the people; and state governments behave similarly. A free and objective 'press' is vital to our fledgling democracy. The stories in this issue are exemplary; the focus and quality of the Global Mail's journalism knows no peer. So I hope the Global Mail wins through.

February 1, 2014 @ 10:57am
by Colette

As another retiree who values independent media, I also would be prepared to financially support TGM for a modest monthly sum. Best wishes for the future.

February 1, 2014 @ 11:00am
by Dara Conlan

I guess you knew this day would come, but not so soon ! Great to see that you are very keen to keep going looking for potential investors and partners. Your independence is clearly your core differentiator, so above all else, this should remain sacrosanct.

Like many others, I too would be happy to make an ongoing contribution. Perhaps you may find a hybrid model spanning philanthropic support, commercial support and subscribers.

Some technology to ponder: I use a smartphone / tablet app to keep offline copies of articles to read while travelling on planes, etc. One suggestion would be to get an app partner and develop a high-quality app for Android & iPad tablets. A charge (say) of $ 4.99 would allow the purchase of the app, and perhaps could include one month's subscription. Then a modest ongoing subscription could be payable. This would provide revenue via the purchase of the app, and ongoing subscription.

I'll be keen to hear TGM progresses to hopefully, the next successful stage of it's growth.

February 1, 2014 @ 11:06am
by Judith

I try not to subscribe to anything on line but would make an exception for the TGM as this together with the Guardian Weekly forms my only text based news. We need these longer articles to flesh out the short news grabs on TV. The ABC & SBS are under continuing threat and this government will ensure tighter scrutiny and decreased funding. Advertising is a slippery slope and ruins a lot of what we get on SBS. I am astonished that so many have not heard of you. The Insiders mentions TGM almost every week, I tell everyone. Much of the important news is not allowed to be broadcast, ie "It is an operational matter." these are "interesting" times & not the time to close any news outlet what ever its bias. GOOD LUCK

February 1, 2014 @ 11:23am
by Jane Fischer

Back in the dim distant past a household licence fee was charged for the privilege of listening to the ABC. A modest monthly subscription fee (like that charged by the Fairfax media) could be a partial solution, one which I would willingly pay as democracy relies on robust informed debate.

February 1, 2014 @ 11:23am
by serendipsy

Independent journalism is under attack everywhere it seems. I too would be prepared to pay a reasonable monthly amount. Good luck with finding suitable financial backing. Your work is appreciated.

February 1, 2014 @ 11:25am
by Stuart

Yeah keep going. "But I'd never even heard of Global Mail until today" yup /indifferent pale faced glum expression washes over my face. Gah its like journalism is trying to invent the wheel or something. Population / reach x exclusion - methods + O's = voodoo.

February 1, 2014 @ 11:37am
by Sue Goodrick

I also would subscribe.

February 1, 2014 @ 11:44am
by Anne Layton-Bennett

TGM is definitely too precious to lose when we so desperately need an independent media voice, and like others I would be prepared to pay a modest sum to ensure it keeps going. You do great work, thank you

February 1, 2014 @ 11:47am
by Chris Corey

I would also be happy to subscribe to keep you going. It is so important to have your independent, insightful and intelligent articles.

February 1, 2014 @ 12:17pm
by Jessica

Happy to pay subscription to continue to be able to read your excellent, in depth articles. We need your work more than ever!

February 1, 2014 @ 12:42pm
by Rebecca

I would pay monthly for your great work also unlike other media agencies because your stories cannot be found anywhere else.

February 1, 2014 @ 1:12pm
by Rais

As a pensioner with part time work I couldn't subscribe but would welcome advertisers. A publication of this standard should be able to attract advertising.

February 1, 2014 @ 1:33pm
by Michael Amendolia

All power to you at finding an alternate funding model to stay online. Must be a way to keep The Global Mail going after all you have created. and potentially yet to create. Best Wishes……...

February 1, 2014 @ 2:08pm
by Max

Happy to pay a sub if at level of say NY Rev of Books on line.

February 1, 2014 @ 2:10pm
by Miles

Subscription and/or crowd funding.

On a pension but I would happily pay a modest monthly subscription to help keep you going.

February 1, 2014 @ 2:29pm
by Warren Smithers

Please keep up the good work. I have no problem paying for a subscription as it is refreshing to read articles (in most cases) a lot more concise and accurate than the stuff printed in our daily newspapers. Best wishes.

February 1, 2014 @ 2:35pm
by David Fieldman

I echo the sentiments of Max, Miles and Warren Smithers.

February 1, 2014 @ 2:53pm
by Neil Fraser

I too would be happy to pay a modest subscription for your publications. I recently cancelled my subscription to the Australian because it had become an opinion piece and was no longer a newspaper. I hoped it would change after the federal election but it has become worse. TGM must also guard against becoming an opinion piece. The recent article on Maules Creek was full of biased opinion. Your journalist used the old trick of selectively printing opinions from third parties and pretending that they were presenting a balanced set of independent views on the topic, when in fact they are not. If you continue to go down that road you will lose the public support expressed above.

February 1, 2014 @ 4:04pm
by John Barnes

Here, Here. My thoughts are that independent and unbiased journalism is a rare thing, and will be an important thing in the near future. Critical journalism based on fact and not conjecture or editorial interference is also one of the most important mainstays of a free and democratic society. Please keep up the good work, and good luck.

February 1, 2014 @ 4:44pm
by Bev Bennett

I enjoy reading the Global Mail and would happily pay for a subscription.

February 1, 2014 @ 4:44pm
by Glenys

So important to keep TGM going in view of the current local and global media restrictions.
Best of luck.

February 1, 2014 @ 5:00pm
by Diana Creighton

I have appreciated reading your well-researched, in-depth articles. We need articulate, respected journalists. I hope you will find a way to continue. I would be willing to pay a subscription although I realise this would not be a complege solution. Good luck and thank you.

February 1, 2014 @ 5:36pm
by Jodie

Start the crowd funding today, and set up a subscription. I want the Global Mail to stick around. Australia needs you!

February 1, 2014 @ 6:25pm
by Abey

Good luck and please persist! you have delivered stirling and crucial journalism.

February 1, 2014 @ 6:45pm
by amphibious

If clicks are any standard by which to judge, then erudite, considered journalism has no attraction to too many. Like Miles, I would disburse some of my OAP to subscribe the GM - IF the writers accepted the same - work for the basic wage and see how it affects your overview.

February 1, 2014 @ 7:03pm
by Brian Abbey

TGM has been and, I hope, will continue to be a breath of fresh air and penetrating insight in an age when Australia's major media are either sick, Fairfax, or just sickening, Murdoch. There can be no democracy in the absence of a critical, skilled and fiercely independent body of daily journalism. The one-eyed and increasingly low-grade journalism that now predominates in the Australian should be a matter of distress to all Australians regardless of which side of politics they habitually support; and, to the extent they still care about such things, it should be a matter of bitter shame to the journalists who lend their name to it. Like others above, I am not well-heeled but I would gladly buy a subscription to TGM if it would help keep this great venture carrying on its work.

February 1, 2014 @ 7:15pm
by Ken

What a load of self indulgent rubbish - good riddance.

February 1, 2014 @ 8:23pm
by Phillip Leeds

Good luck, I hope it works out. Good writing by professionals. always worth reading.

February 1, 2014 @ 8:48pm
by Lyndel

Congratulations on an excellent, informative news site. I would gladly buy a subscription to TGM to support such high quality investigative journalism.

February 1, 2014 @ 10:37pm
by Kevin

TGM feels a niche that is sadly lacking - quality journalism - analysis- and great great storys. Good luck guys, I hope that you are here to stay.

February 2, 2014 @ 12:55am
by Roger

We can't afford to let this site fail! Whilst Murdoch consolidates, others are fracturing. The result is we are fed diatribe and biased reporting. If I can help in any way I will do so.

February 2, 2014 @ 1:41am
by David Fieldman

Since TGM is blocked in Mainland China, it obviously is of considerable value. Crowd funding might just be the answer.

February 2, 2014 @ 2:27am
by Ros

The insightful and highly relevant journalism from TGM adds greatly to informed debate. Your work is crucial and I admire the commitment of all journalists. It is hoped that ways are found to keep this valuable venture going.

February 2, 2014 @ 10:44am
by Bill Hayes

Hello all at TGM, I would gladly buy a suscription, get yourselves "Paypal" organized and please do a little more self promotion, Thank you to Graeme Wood for his grand effort, let's get this off the ground ASAP

February 2, 2014 @ 11:12am
by Neil

Would be happy to help financially either by individual subscription or as part of a crowd. Just ask and I will respond. Essential that TGM thrive and not just survive.

February 2, 2014 @ 12:12pm
by Manuela

If it has to come to subscription, I will, crowd funding, I will.
In depth quality journalism is much needed in this country.
I really hope you will find a way to continue.
OUTSTANDING journalism! Hang in there!

February 2, 2014 @ 1:17pm
by LPO

Carry on the excellent reporting. I will contribute also, if necessary.

February 2, 2014 @ 1:50pm
by Christine

I agree with Bill. Get Paypal organised and do a bit more promotion. It would be a real pity to lose The Global Mail. It needs to stay - great journalists and quality journalism

February 2, 2014 @ 4:54pm
by Richard Walker

Just like so many commenters, I would be willing to pay (subscription or crowd sourcing) to keep TGM going. Good luck and I really hope you are able to keep producing such high quality journalism.

February 2, 2014 @ 5:25pm
by chris perram

I second Dara Conlan's comment. An app and a modest subscription would be ideal, and I for one would be more that happy to support this noble publication this way. Fantastic, incisive, unbiased presentation of the facts. Keep up the good work. And kudos to Mr Wood for his vision.

February 2, 2014 @ 8:36pm
by Roger

Have you explored a crowdfunded model to get some initial operating budget?

I'm sure the loyal readers would be happy to put it some cash, which could included a package of ebooks etc.

February 3, 2014 @ 9:37am
by Michael

TGM deserves much praise for its focus on stories little dealt with by other media outlets. Less so for its efforts in establishing a profile for the publication, a symptom of philanthropic funding I suspect.

What kind of money is required to keep it going?

February 3, 2014 @ 10:08am
by Liam Whan

Wikipedia quarterly donation drives?

I would definitely pay for TGM, either by a subscription model or a semi regular donation drives.

February 3, 2014 @ 3:49pm
by peter mickan

Peter
Pursue means to continue publication.
as this is journalism for the present and for the future
Keep in touch

February 3, 2014 @ 11:34pm
by Geraldine Brooks

Yes let's crowd fund it. I'm in...

February 4, 2014 @ 12:35am
by David Seaman

Without going through 135 messages, could a $number be put up to give us some idea on how much is required per annum? I am happy to donate.

February 4, 2014 @ 2:42pm
by Ben G Morgan

Fantastic guys! Can't wait for the donate button! You'll be getting a wad from me!

Thank you, and keep up the great work. How fantastic it will be to be a part of taking this great resource to the next level!

February 4, 2014 @ 9:13pm
by Sachia Manning

Crowd fund and/or subscription - please pass around the e-hat and make it happen, but don't go away!

February 5, 2014 @ 12:48am
by orangefox

I have visited your site on many occasions and really liked the excellent content. It would be good even if you kept this site going on a reduced level while a way can be found to fully fund it.
Although I am not too keen on commercial sponsers it could work both ways, as businesses that supported sites like this, that expose the truth, would be businesses that I would like to know about and one that I would consider purchasing from.
Thanks Graeme Woods for funding this so far and thanks for all the writers for your efforts so far.

February 5, 2014 @ 2:28pm
by Malcolm McLennan

I hope TGM can find a way to survive with a combination of donations/crowd funding/limited advertising. With the New Neanderthal Abbot government in power environmental protection has taken a huge leap backwards in 3 months. We need more independent media to hold them to account.

February 5, 2014 @ 5:48pm
by Peter H

I didn't know you existed until The Age's story about Graeme's announcement last week. Now you're bookmarked and I visit daily. And yes I'd happily pay for a subscription, as I already do for other non-Murdoch sites.

February 6, 2014 @ 6:29pm
by Mauricio Bins

Subscription is the solution. I would happily pay for it as I do for The Monthly. Quality and independent journalism is essential as water.

February 6, 2014 @ 11:41pm
by John Lam-Po-Tang

Another regular reader of the Global Mail who will be very sad to see it close. Detailed investigative journalism covering areas that weren't adequately covered in the mainstream press is something that will be missed. The notion that there is no market for articles of more than a few thousand words has not been proven by this development, and I hope that the legacy of the site carries on in some form or another.

I also hope that the journalists and editors of the Global Mail are OK, and sincerely hope that they feel very proud of their contribution to journalism in Australia and elsewhere.

February 7, 2014 @ 6:40pm