DEV

Hey! We’re Standing Up!

It doesn’t take a sharp eye to notice some changes at The Global Mail today. After months of feedback, planning and hard work we’ve launched a more user-friendly design for our site. I call it TGM 2.0. Things change fast on the web. We’re still young, just eight months old, but already we’ve been on a technological adventure. I joined the ranks at TGM, in January this year, one month before it was launched. When I first saw the soon-to-be-released site I was impressed with the fearlessness of its design but uncertain about whether it would be accepted by its audience. Some negative feedback was inevitable; people don’t like change and, well, haters gonna hate.

This site was new, it was different — and it was gorgeous. I found these attributes refreshing, especially for something that is typically routine and ad-ridden — after all, it is a journalism website.

But despite the countless hours I spend every day consuming, critiquing and helping to build the web, I’d never encountered a site so invested in horizontal scrolling. And just because the majority of people my age — 21 — live and breathe the Internet, it doesn’t mean we’re any less sceptical about change.

February 6 saw TGM’s launch, as promised, with our horizontal scroll in full swing. I was eager to see how it would be received.

Well, soon after launch, it became clear improvements needed to be made to the site. And so began our six-month journey to re-think, re-design and re-develop for what we now see today.

The first question was relatively simple: What do we do to help our readers better deal with this new horizontal experience?

On the iPad it was excellent — it cried out “swipe me sideways” — but the desktop experience flew right in the face of web traditions that have existed since I was born.

From day one, the only way desktop users could navigate through stories was by clicking the arrows fixed to each side of the screen. I was keen to explore the horizontal scroll at the time; I felt the initial implementation was an unfair representation of its potential. So while our management listened and planned for the future site transformations, it was up to me — the new coder on the block — to try and make this thing work better. And so began the hacking.

This was my first time working on a Python backend (that’s a programming language) and, feeling out of my depth there, I proceeded to hack the frontend.

Before long I had a working prototype that would allow users to easily scroll through stories using their mouse wheel. But I still wasn’t 100 per cent happy with this: mouse wheels go up and down yet our stories went left to right. This mismatch would sit uneasily with me for months to come. Mac users – at least those using a Trackpad or Magic Mouse – were better off. The familiar left-to-right, two-finger swipe gesture worked brilliantly. With little effort these users could scroll through a story and even ‘fling’ their way to the start or end of the page.

But how could users know how far through the story they were? There was still no visual indication of their progress or even a concept of how long it was. This role was usually fulfilled by a vertical scrollbar. I didn’t have this luxury and would have to make my own. With little space in the story page design to actually implement a horizontal scroll bar, I accepted this coding challenge.

I wondered if non-tech-savvy readers appreciate the subtle complexities of something as trivial as a scrollbar. There’s actually a bit to take into account: calculating the width of the bar in the track depending on the story length and window size; recalculating it if the window resizes; enabling clicking empty portions of the track to jump the bar there; how far to scroll the story for every movement of the bar; and moving the bar if the user scrolls with their mouse wheel.

Many Red Bulls, tweaks, styles and tests later, the scrollbar was in place. Suddenly the story page felt a lot more natural and friendly. Even I wanted to read the stories — me, who usually only reads JavaScript framework blogposts.

I’d be lying if I said that my adventure of exploring, hacking and playing with horizontal scroll had not been interesting. Still, today, and for good reason, TGM is calling on its admirers and readers to keep calm and scroll down.

Andrew Cobby was part of the in-house team that worked with Brisbane-based developers 4impact to create a new design for The Global Mail.

by jeremy

i love the new front page!,

However i did enjoy the side scrolling when reading a story

October 11, 2012 @ 4:03am
by Joe Castley

I only found out a couple of days ago that Fll would give me the article without half of every column unreachable! So I'm looking forward to revisiting a number of articles that I had felt frustrated not to be able to acces satisfactorily. Nevertheless, I'm glad that from now on Fll won't be necessary . Thanks for the change.

October 11, 2012 @ 6:53am
by David Reid

The new design looks very nice. However, I think the problem with The Global Mail website was only partly technical. The real issue is increasing reader engagement and building a community around the website. There is some excellent journalism on the site. I hope the editors/management are also thinking about ways to build an audience that cares about the content.

October 11, 2012 @ 8:01am
by Brian Blackwell

At last! You have done the re-design that was so badly needed. Now you look slick and readable!! Well done.

October 11, 2012 @ 8:21am
by Lee Shipley

Sadly, the Global Mail comes a little late to influence online reading habits. While the horizontal scrolling had some appeal to the iPad fan club, it got in the way for most of us.
It has been ever thus. The QWERTY keyboard was invented to slow input and therefore prevent mechanical keys from jamming.( http://computer.howstuffworks.com/question458.htm) The jamming problem was overcome but it was to late to reform humans who as a group prefer a known if inefficient standard to an new one even if its demonstrably better.
Like many others, I read the Global Mail for its content not its layout. And like many others i am only just coping with the of shifting between the big screen my desktop, my portable, tablet, and smart phone. The idiosyncratic TGM 1.0 got in the way. Thanks for the very sensible return to reality.

October 11, 2012 @ 8:29am
by James Grenfell

As a person who, when copying a file to disk for the CEO in his presence, once formatted C;| drive instead. We looked at the screen and were amazed at the speed of the copying ... until I realised I was deleting via the Format instruction. Yep, we technocrats (?) need to stick together!

October 11, 2012 @ 9:13am
by Damien Johnston

I was happy with TGM 1.0 and being a web designer myself it was a bold move that really made the site stand out, I think it made for a more relaxed and wholesome reading experience which is what the content of the stories on TGM is all about

October 11, 2012 @ 10:47am
by Cam

Very sad to see the Global Mail move to a very traditional (in the web sense) format.
I loved the old format, everything on one "page", easy to click to the next part of the story, good use of the wide screens we all use now a days.
Will still read for the fearless journalism of course, but design wise a very retrograde step.

October 11, 2012 @ 11:00am
by Peter

Clean. Clear. Readable. Perfect! Many thanks for listening to the reader feedback. I always felt sad that the poor design was stopping the site from reaching a greater audience - and stopping me from reading the site. Each time I came back with the intention of giving the website another chance, I would leave more frustrated and irritated than before (vowing never to return). Not having to contend with the unreadable streaming twitter feed of small italic fonts whizzing past me in a dizzying blur is a joy. When poor design overwhelms the content, you have a problem. I'm glad this has been fixed. Congratulations!

October 11, 2012 @ 11:02am
by Tracylee

Thank you!

October 11, 2012 @ 11:02am
by Liam

Looks good, and well done. North and South is the only way to be.

October 11, 2012 @ 11:21am
by Darren

The website looks a lot like the Huffington Post actually.
Not that that's bad; it's a nice clean design.

October 11, 2012 @ 11:24am
by summerdays

I am sad to see the old format go. I think you did a wonderful job of creating a beautiful, practical layout which matched the style of articles on the site.. I found it a joy to use and look at.

Up, down, up, down, is not the way of the future. Smart phones, tables, touch screens, trackpads & Windows 8 are all up, down, left right.

It won't be long before all the people who have been complaining about left right will be complaining about how dull up, down, up, down is.

October 11, 2012 @ 12:23pm
by rob

Horizontal was certainly an interesting concept and made the site stood out from the pack even if it had inherent problems on some platforms. Thanks for sharing some of the behind-the-scenes complexities. So now it's onward ... and forever up and downward?

October 11, 2012 @ 12:33pm
by Ben

Go back to the old format. It worked well on my laptop as long as you used F11. It was a beautiful and unique format that distinguished it artistically from the rest of the pack.

October 11, 2012 @ 1:03pm
by Lee

Considering TGM espouse the idea of being fearless, it's a huge disappointment to see that this doesn't translate through to the design. I agree that there were some key usability issues, though changing to a completely new design is a radical step in the wrong direction. These issues mentioned could have simply been solved by a few small design changes. Why not change the format to be vertical by default, with a toggle to the horizontal layout? Surely this would have saved countless hours of design and development time.

The previous site was an absolute joy to read, and it now sadly looks like every other news publication. Perhaps TGM does want to look and feel like every other news site?

October 11, 2012 @ 1:14pm
by Sophie

The old format was much easier to navigate and really distinguished TGM.

October 11, 2012 @ 1:18pm
by Joh Lyons

Thanks! I like to read without the struggle.

October 11, 2012 @ 1:35pm
by Nikhil

I agree with many here that the old format was better. Maybe it was not the easiest to use, but it was literally one of the only news sites that broke from the conventional layout. While I see how horizontal scrolling may have needed to go, the new version we've been given shows a lack of vision compared to the bold 1.0. Why be like everybody else?

October 11, 2012 @ 1:35pm
by Hoppy

Good job Duchess

October 11, 2012 @ 1:50pm
by Lachness

I like the new design.

October 11, 2012 @ 2:32pm
by Simon

I think the new design stands out of the way for the content to fully express itself. I like it, and even though I understand v1.0 lovers, I see the new classic/slim design work better on the long run.

October 11, 2012 @ 2:40pm
by Markie

I'm sure the Down/Up scrollers will be happy, but maybe I'm swimming against the tide here.
I have to say that your original style was exactly that - style. It's what first attracted me to your publication. And, I liked the left/right scroll…
I shall of course continue to subscribe - your content is what sets you apart, but please don't bland out and become just another e-zine…

October 11, 2012 @ 5:45pm
by Peter Franklin

iLife the design and that it loads on the iPad faster

October 11, 2012 @ 6:49pm
by Michelle

As a Mac user, the horizontal design was easy and gorgeous to use! Where it all fell down was when I desperately wanted to share fantastic articles with friends only to be met with a curt "Oh no! Not that bloody sideways stuff again?" Thanks for making it so much easier to share the treasures in here.

October 11, 2012 @ 6:53pm
by Lucy

In this vertical layout your articles just feel like giant chunks of text - they aren't as inviting, or any easier for me to read. I loved reading articles on the old site, as the horizontal layout of text with images made it feel more like I was reading through a magazine article than a website. It was visually pleasing and really easy (and quite fun, actually) to navigate.
I'm a little sad TGM have swapped a unique online experience for a fairly generic one. I will of course keep reading as the content on TGM is just so good.

October 11, 2012 @ 7:31pm
by nemeng

Much better, but why do you still insist on preventing people from increasing the page font size?...

October 11, 2012 @ 8:55pm
by Max

I bet the people who complained about the horizontal layout of the site are the same type of people who think Google invented the Internet, get with the times people, horizontal is the new vertical. Newspapers are horizontal, magazines are horizontal, screens are getting wider so why be like everyone else?

No offence to the designers, it's a clean design but definitely a step back in terms of readability and page flow. The unique dark layout of TGM 1.0 was what made it unique and stand-out & is what attracted me to this site in the first place, now the site just looks like a cheap Wordpress theme. This is the kind of redesign I would expect from News.com.au not a site which claims to be "fearless" independent Australian journalism. As someone mentioned TGM now looks like The Huffington Post not to mention the LA Times and most other commercial news websites.

Horizontal layouts are definitely harder from a technical perspective to pull off but very rewarding once you get the hang of how to use them (it's not hard). This is a massive waste of money, for a philanthropically funded site which gets a set budget each year I would have assumed being budget conscious was priority #1. Imagine if those wasted hours developing the new site were spent on say, increasing the number of articles published per week wouldn't that be more beneficial to increasing engagement and readership?

I am also surprised that the site was redesigned and redeveloped and yet a crucial part of any modern site: a responsive layout was forgotten? Who uses fixed widths in web development any more? I hate to be a jerk, but sometimes I have my browser window a tad smaller than my actual desktop resolution when I am doing other things. Not to mention the mobile site is still in the style of the old site, and while it works, it makes for an inconsistent experience.

I don't know who is in charge at The Global Mail any more since Monica left, but it's very clear the priorities of this site are all wrong — I see why Monica's departure was so hush hush and no real explanation was given, obviously she knew what was coming and was fighting an internal struggle against a bland redesign.

My faith in this site has deteriorated. I don't see why you couldn't just fix the issues with horizontal scrolling. Isn't it easier from a technical perspective to fix the issues with an existing layout than creating a new layout which itself will always have problems?

October 11, 2012 @ 10:08pm
by Ben @ausculture

That’s a mighty shame. Most new monitors are widescreen, and the horizontal scrolling site fitted that format beautifully. Now we’re presented with dazzling slabs of bare white.

TGM 1.0 did have one or two downsides. You couldn’t increase the font size. (In Firefox you can ‘zoom’ any standard web page – text and graphics – and on an HD screen, which, again, most new monitors are, this is often desirable. But that didn’t work on 1.0.) You couldn’t do so on the iPad, either, and sometimes some text would be clipped when you switched between portrait and landscape. These things could have been easily rectified – an ‘A’ icon to change font size (remembered with a cookie) and a bug fix.

Visually, you have now lost your point of difference. The web is supposed to be 2.0, but nearly all the news and other text-centric sites have designs which are throwbacks to the early days of the internet, with CRT screens and clunky browsers.

This is not a minor aesthetic detail – progressive words are at risk of being lost in the mêlée.

I urge TGM to reconsider. If readers are saying they don’t like the horizontal site, ask them what their specific issue is and try to fix it. Thanks to CSS, it’s reasonably simple to have different versions of a site for different purposes – ie a mobile version that’s basic and scrolls vertically. With such an option available, anyone who requires accessibility software for reading could simply use the mobile site.

Did TGM poll readers BEFORE making the change? I don’t recall seeing such a thing. And I’m afraid I would have to call the current site. TGM 0.5.

October 11, 2012 @ 10:15pm
by 2353

I appreciated the ability to use arrow buttons, scrollbar and the two finger swipe on the magic mouse to use the left/right scroll of TGM1.0, however I always wondered why it was there. Change for the sake of change isn't necessarily a good thing unless there is a really good reason. The horizontal scrolling was change without a good reason for it.

I also like the new font.

October 11, 2012 @ 10:30pm
by Chris

The new format is easier to use, but I find the font harder to read. Overall I think it's a good move, I found the old style got in the way of the story.

October 11, 2012 @ 11:38pm
by Adrian A Clarke

i hate new format - don't want to delve into the various topic headings
much prefer an overall view on all topics as the old format provided - like skimming the headlines in a newspaper & then delving by choice.

October 12, 2012 @ 1:55am
by Bashful

The old format was unique, and a major reason why I recommended the site to others. Now we have a typical online newspaper and I am no longer going to recommend it.

October 12, 2012 @ 2:33am
by Ron

I'm with Markie. I liked your old format, found it easier to scan, then read -- and it did have style. Mk2 looks like a mess. Maybe I'll get accustomed to it but it will be with regret.

October 12, 2012 @ 8:12am
by Paul

I liked the sideways scrolling, the external links at the bottom of the page and the generally uncluttered style. However there were often glitches which stopped me seeing the full page with the last line of a column cut off.

October 12, 2012 @ 9:43am
by John

What were the drivers for abandoning side-scrolling?

It's a shame, It was really lovely - it would be nice to understand why...

October 12, 2012 @ 10:33am
by Russell

I remeber being sad when the internation hearld tribune changed to vertical and was keen to see horizontal done right when it was adopted on the global mail. It never was done right. I could never read the articles on my small laptop screen since it was formatted to a larger screen. Regardless of the style the content comes first And finally I have access to the content

P.S. I never knew anything about some F11 thingy rather annoyed that I've missed out all this time for no reason

October 12, 2012 @ 11:07am
by John

I never objected to the sideways swiping of the old format, but think that I was in a minority on this issue. Interestingly, I don't think I've ever seen this many comments after any single article.

More importantly, thanks to the Global Mail for continuing to provide interesting, detailed and thought-provoking journalism

October 12, 2012 @ 1:23pm
by jackie

I love the visual appeal of horizontal design and because it is so fundamentally difference from most of other sites you know you are at the TGM once you are here. HOWEVER, it is a disaster in terms of usability while trying to access from a PC. I think it is a great move to the latest design because it will make it easier to access and read the articles and hopefully it will encourage more people to visit. At the end of the day, it is the (great) contents that matter.

October 12, 2012 @ 1:38pm
by John Travers

Much better. I used to be quite frustrated with the horizontal. I think it would be good to have a pause button on the scrolling top stories slide display: it is either too fast or too slow for me. Next update: would be good to be able to reply to a particular comment and to have recommend button for comments, which means that valued comments are highlighted. Overall, a very good site (on an iPad) and one that takes great advantage of high quality images. (Good words in use too!)

October 12, 2012 @ 3:27pm
by Leo Campbell

The Global Mail's readers are generally so like-minded, I am impressed you have managed to polarise a normally quiescent bunch so much! I probably lean more to the horizontal-scrolling-club; but find the issue small biscuits on a website with such brilliant investigative journalism. In design terms, I would only suggest you take advantage of one of the upsides of being a non-commercial publication and simplify the site design even further than you have done. Simplicity and lack of distraction makes your site stand out, and gives it an air of authority that news sites with "54-year-old mother's three tips to look young again" advertisements will never reach. To wit: get rid of the auto-scrolling widget to the right, it is unecessarily resource hungry and somewhat negates your simple design. Put those options down the bottom and/or top; never have I stopped in the middle of a story and thought: "I simply must print this before I finish another word!"

That being said, I am very, very happy about one thing (and surprised not to see it mentioned in the comments earlier): the site is now readable on my Android smartphone! Having tried four different browsers with no success, I quickly gave up trying to read this website on my HTC Desire HD2. Despite repeated inquiries, I never heard an answer to why this new, exclusively online publication wouldn't be designed with over half the smartphone market in mind. Good work on rectifying the mistake, though.

October 12, 2012 @ 3:56pm
by Richard

I found the horizontal scrolling so easy to use and I'm sad to see it go. You could see ALL the stories past and present with a simple scroll that gave you half a dozen headers in one go (using the screen real estate) even with a mouse. So you had a window to a larger canvas, a sort of magnifying glass on a painting. Now you have such a typical site, that looks like, well, something that's 'been around since you were born'. The single image scroll is stultifying. And the rest of it , now so disjointed. I know this is the web so I suppose you think you need to pander to the short attention span, but a section called 'Most Wanted'? Who cares? May as well be the SMH with tits, bums and celebrity gossip. You've taken a great, innovative site with great articles and dumbed it down to tabloid status. This is not change hating, this is just bad change. I was amazed to find so many had trouble with the old site. Oh well, got that off my chest. Thanks.

October 12, 2012 @ 6:13pm
by Penny

You might be standing up, but this ain't evolution.

Suffice to say I like your old stuff better than your new stuff.

TGM 1.0 was visually brilliant, and a real pleasure to read. Inviting, uncluttered, artistic.
TGM 2.0 is boring and looks like just another website. Indeed it's hard to tell it apart from Crikey (TGM is less cluttered, but the DNA is much the same)
Yes, the horizontal scrolling is an acquired taste, but you adapt to it (just like we adapted to touchscreens, trackpads, power steering, and remote controls).
My biggest regret is that I didn't souvenir a screen shot of the diptych of the wind farm you used to lead-in to the recent 2-parter on wind power. It was stunning to look at... and now it is gone.
Hopefully TGM 3.0 or 4.0 will go to back to the future. Cheers.

October 12, 2012 @ 9:24pm
by Richard Ure

I endorse the comments of the other Richard; there are two of us.

The “old” (i.e., previous) layout told The Global Mail New Media story in 1,000 words: visually. Here was a web site which, unlike most others, demonstrated its design mission visually and recognised the historical truth: monitors are landscape not portrait like a paper newspaper but are getting bigger.

Mountain Lion in particular took advantage of that trend with its full screen feature which means the story you are reading occupies the whole window. Reading a long story on a 24” monitor is like reading it in a broadsheet: no interruptions, no distractions.
As for swiping criticisms being good for Trackpad and Magic Mouse folk only, the keyboard right arrow moved the story forward the exact amount so you would get a whole new column regardless of the size of the viewing window. Brilliant!

When so many creators of pdfs are still assuming your monitor is like an A4 portrait page, I wish more web sites would adjust to take account of the waste of horizontal space. On the Mac or for Readability users for those who like the new format, there was always the Reader button to render the single column view.

I’d like a nostalgia button too, but I’d fall it “Future view”. Full marks though to your improved Read later features.

October 13, 2012 @ 10:48am
by Bruce

Wow!... talk about change... When TGM first came out, my first thoughts were... "hey! this is innovative, perhaps distracting even...maybe a case of style over substance". I pressed on, managing with difficultly the scrolling around with the damm touchpad of my notebook pc... then the penny dropped... hit the F12 button to expand the page to occupy the full screen and I haven't looked back. The horizontal scrolling actually suited the 16:9 aspect ratio & high-def LCD screen of my notebook pc. Surprisingly, I found it rather easy to take a break during reading an article to answer the phone etc. and I noticed that I could pick up where I had left off immediately and actually found it easier to resume reading than the 'old school' vertical pages of other online newpagers, magazines and blogs. Additionally, I thought that the horizontal scrolling format created a more efficient use of the available on-screen real-estate. Perhaps the change was too radical for others and resulted in a poor take up rate in readership. I wouldn't say that I'm that adaptive to change (I still refuse to get sucked in by social networking with Facebook and Twitter et al, but that's a bitch/whinge/rant for another day).
Anyway, I am happy to accept the change and resume 'old school' vertical scrolling if it means a greater take-up rate of readership for TGM. TGM has become my favourite means of reading in-depth news articles, corresponding with the downturn in quality and readability of the SMH, since Fairfax has decided to 'offshore' their sub-editing etc. If push came to shove, I would willingly pay a subscription for TGM as I will never willingly pay for the rubbish I see on the News Ltd. and Fairfax Media website, and I can't see their pay-gate model succeeding unless they become innovative and also lift the quality and remove the political slants from their publications.
... Now back to adjusting my eyes to this vertical scrolling...

October 13, 2012 @ 11:31am
by Maria

Please bring back the old format. It was beautiful, it was a joy to read. This format's just like all the others. I also LOVED the dark background - don't know why, because normally I don't.

October 13, 2012 @ 9:05pm
by Krystyna Koscheck

Sorry, it may have been a technical achievement, but as a design approach it's woeful. In fact there's very little to differentiate the product of one of the most insular, morally-corrupt and devoid-of-design corporations on the planet - news.com.au - and The Global Mail - try looking at both sites. Only the awful animated ad banner at the top of news.com.au gives away its marginally less informed grasp on the need to do something about our bland online world. Again, apologies to all those who put work into this, but no amount of greatness will save lazy lack-of-design and poorly planned presentation. Leaping back to the mediocrity of the journalistic masses.

October 14, 2012 @ 3:05pm
by Richard

As a philanthropic venture, it is good that you have democratised your format so as to be accessible to as large an audience as possible who are using a myriad of devices! Some of us are neither reading this on an Ipad nor on a huge widescreen monitor. Your mission is surely to disseminate the *content* to as many people as possible, and your previous design was seriously hampering your ability to do so. Finally, you have corrected this error. Reading the content is now easy. Brilliant.

October 14, 2012 @ 6:08pm
by Dennis Burt

I agree with Maria, don't be afraid to be different folks, go back !!

October 14, 2012 @ 8:02pm
by Jen

I liked the way the old site worked and it was a point of difference for me. Actually found it easier to read and the articles felt shorter somehow. But the quality of the writing is the main thing and this remains.

October 15, 2012 @ 12:12am
by Iain Davidson

Huge improvement.

October 15, 2012 @ 7:30am
by Mary Bear

Love the new format, but the content is what really counts!

October 16, 2012 @ 1:20am
by Stefan

I thought it was a different or hijacked site when I first visited the new format. Primarily because it looked just like every other (news) site on the web. Surely that's not TGM! Surely that's not the vanguard spirit I admired in TGM from day-one. But alas, this is a market driven society and unfortunately that means everyone else wins, right?
I built a horizontal site for myself earlier this year (and I'm not even a mac or iPad user) because it was new, fresh and suddenly seemed more like 'reading'...left to right. I designed a beautiful bit of code with embedded scrollers and the like. Then I tested across devices and platforms and was horrified by the incompatibilities. I ditched the whole thing and went back to bare basics (but still horizontal). It sent home an important lesson that in this democratised-webworld the idea is less important than the user. Sad but true! Excellent news TGM, excellent site but I prefer it when 'ideas' win the day.

October 16, 2012 @ 10:45am
by Sarah

Congratulations on the decision to scroll down - so much more comfortable!

October 16, 2012 @ 11:52am
by Stefan

I submitted a comment earlier sharing my own experience of having my horizontal site tempered by external forces, perhaps like TGM. While those forces are exerted largely by the users they in fact mostly originate in technology. I am dismayed by the extent of do-it-alone device and browser makers these days. It's like the old VHS/Beta video cassette wars of the 70's & 80's. Gone are the guiding conventions of W3C in web-development, they all think their code does it better. But the real losers are world wide web users because it's almost impossible now to develop a website that can be viewed by everyone. Why? who's in the drivers seat? Now there's a story! Please.

October 16, 2012 @ 12:40pm
by Clare Tuckerman

I loved the horizontal and the black background; the new site is much less visually engaging. Fortunately TGM is not just skin deep.

October 17, 2012 @ 10:18am
by Vern Skags

Just wanted to say the new format works for me. Will be visiting the site more often now.

cheers.

October 18, 2012 @ 8:36am
by Mac Hoban

Thank you!!! I LOVE the new format!

What a pleasure. Global Mail is the joy to read I always hoped it would be.

October 18, 2012 @ 10:22am
by Michael

I too thought the original horizontal layout was exciting, a joy to use and read, and that its implementation in turn reflected well on the independent forward thinking TGM espouses. Now, with the new layout of course I still come every day to read the high quality journalism, but you've reduced it visually to just another website, and I think a little less of you now because of that. Sorry.

October 18, 2012 @ 3:58pm
by Cam

At a quick count it is roughly 27 against and 27 for the new vertical scrolling design. Hard to please everyone!

BTW, I converted to "standard view" on the iphone to look at the comments theo ther day; and now can't get back to the mobile view. Any one able to let me know how to get the mobile view back?
Thanks

October 18, 2012 @ 4:44pm
by Mac Hoban

I was reading Global Mail this morning and wanted to write again to thank you for the new format.

Being an avid reader of your journal, the pleasure of being able to dip in and read it comfortably on my netbook is a big deal for me. I have no desktop computer, the 10" netbook is my "big" screen and I also go online often with my over-sized smartphone.

The new Global Mail is a special treat. You have some journos I have long admired, (step forward Critto and of course Ellen Fanning the now-grown-up wunderkind of former days).

Global Mail is the my favourite read since the Nation Review. That dates me I know, but I dislike reading copy that's written to make profits for corporate psychopaths, and the poor old ABC is so traumatised after the savaging it got during the dark years of the Howard government that it's been constantly looking over its shoulder ever since.

Even though you aver you're only telling us what we want to hear, ("Our audience is our only agenda"), the experience I have with Global Mail is that your journos simply go where the story is, and report it as they see it. I don't always agree with them, I just revel in their independence.

Regards,
Mac Hoban

October 19, 2012 @ 4:29pm
by Morgan Brown

Your website looks so much better now. I always thought the previous design was a bit highbrow personally.

October 19, 2012 @ 5:08pm
by Beth

So sad to see the horizontal scrolling gone...it was the courageous, forward thinking, graphical representation of TGM's philosophical approach to journalism. Intuitively, it felt right, and upon reading your article above, I am also sad to hear all of the work you did that was to no avail...what was that about the squeaky wheel?

Regards
Beth

October 21, 2012 @ 6:51pm
by Kim Venskunas

Thank you for changing the format. As much as I liked the horizontal layout I found it awkward; persisting in hope my habit would change - it didn't. I much prefer the vertical scroll - for now. There's naught as fickle as folk - so please stay inspired.

November 14, 2012 @ 9:30am
by Tony

Came in late, but an excellent move for we desktoppers Andrew, much more user friendly, and much appreciated!

November 24, 2012 @ 9:22pm